Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Thirds - Planet Of Me

Well, I was wondering what to do for my first blog entry, luckily I happened to be given this gem recently and it is well worth my attention and love.






Falling's easy
but you're not the man
for keeping the closest people
the furthest that you can



If there was ever anything wrong with sounding like The Verve, I fail to see it (especially considering that The Verve recorded some of the most soulful pop music of the 90's not to mention the album A Storm In Heaven). In an age where soft rockers seem to be a dime a dozen these days and 90% of them seem to be little more than cheap Coldplay ripoffs who grew up listening to a steady dose of Madonna and Elton John, it always fills me with joy to see that the spirit of the under appreciated stands firm.

The Thirds successfully fill out my every alt. rock fantasy I have ever had, vocals that sound eerily like those of Richard Ashcroft, music that has experimentation without being overly pretentious, and smooth and melodic guitar riffs. Pure bliss, no? If it has any flaw it's that it is too calm. Yes, I know a good sleepy tune is usually 100 times better than good energetic tune, it's almost like people can't convey any depth through their own excitement (this doesn't mean I won't still buy every new Les Savy Fav record that comes out, nor does it imply that you're utter shit if you can only express anger and excitement, but I must say, a good soulful tune is always relevant).




Instead of me just droning on about how much slow music > fast music, I'll let this album speak for itself.

The Thirds - Planet Of Me

Myspace

1 comment:

MeTSam said...

Hey, just linked your blog to my "Lateral Blogs".

Good luck to your brand new blog, spread some good music to the world!

Thanks!